Security+ is a certification dealing with computer security topics such as cryptography and access control, as well as business-related topics such as disaster recovery and risk management. It was developed in 2002 to address the rise of security issues. A new and updated version, SY0-301, was released in 2011. According to CompTIA, there are currently more than 45,000 people around the world who have earned this certification. It is recommended that candidates have two years of security-related work experience (although not a requirement) and pass the 100 question multiple choice exam.
The Security+ exam can be applied as an elective to the MCSA: Security and the MCSE: Security specializations from Microsoft. For United States Department of Defense employees, DoDD 8570, IAT Level II certification guidelines lists Security+ as one of four choices (the others being GIAC Security Essentials Certification (GSEC), Security Certified Network Professional (SCNP), and Systems Security Certified Practitioner (SSCP)).
- CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-301 Study Guide
- CompTIA Security+ Study Guide: Exam SY0-301
- CompTIA Security+ Review Guide, Includes CD: Exam SY0-301
- Mike Meyers’ CompTIA Security+ Certification Passport 3rd Edition (Exam SY0-301) (Mike Meyers’ Certficiation Passport)
- CompTIA Security + All-in-One Exam Guide (Exam SY0-301), 3rd Edition with CD-ROM
- CompTIA Security+ SY0-301 Authorized Cert Guide, Deluxe Edition (2nd Edition)